HOOD RELEASES ?

• Bob Grev
  • 1998 Jaguar XJ8

When I pull the hood release lever only the drivers side of the hood releases and not the passenger side. How do I get the passenger side to open?

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 1:08 AM

• rivermikerat

Lift the hood. The latch is most likely releasing, but the spring need to be replaced.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 3:19 AM
  • KMKOTARSKI

I had this happen to my 98 XJ8 a few months ago, the cable snapped on me, the cable goes from the pully to the driver side thread and then over to the passenger side, this is why it is not opening on the passenger side. It can be dangerious to drive if cable gets entangeled in components and should be repaired asap. There is a trick to getting it open I just cannot remember what he said I am sure the guys here would know. Good Luck

Friday, June 1st, 2012 AT 1:41 AM
  • rivermikerat

I've got nothing. I'll ask around and have anyone with ideas pop in and take a crack.

Friday, June 1st, 2012 AT 2:09 AM
  • Bob Grev

Unfortunately, the cable broke at the hood release on the drivers side. The mechanic removed the felt in front of the passengers seat near the firewall and with a long tool was able to release the hood latch. Otherwise he would have had to go through a small hole behind the tire up to the release.

Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 AT 12:22 AM
  • rivermikerat

That's why I've always preferred the older cars with the hood release outside. And hood lock pins.

Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 AT 1:13 AM