Removal and installation of water pump

ANONYMOUS
  • 1998 ISUZU RODEO
Water pump removal and installation instructions needed. It is a 3.2.
Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 AT 4:30 PM

RACEFAN966
Okay, the water pump is driven by the timing belt so you will have to remove the timing belt too. I would replace it sense it will be off. You need to remove the air cleaner assembly the upper fan shroud all the drive belts and engine fan. Now remove any oil cooler hoses that go to the timing cover, now remove the front timing cover and then align the timing marks (use picture included). If the timing belt is fairly new and are not replacing it then not or mark the direction the belt is on so (which side it out and which direction it rotates) the timing belt cogs will be set as how it is on now. You will also need to remove the crankshaft pulley and such before the timing cover will come off. Now once the everything is aligned now loosen the timing belt tention-er and remove the belt. Now you can remove the water pump bolts and water pump. Put together in reverse order.

Here are guides and diagrams to help you see what you are in for with the instructions on how to the job on your car below:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/water-pump-replacement

and

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/isuzu/rodeo/1998

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+9
Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 AT 4:59 PM
KENDALLLOYD
  • 1998 ISUZU RODEO
I replaced the water pump. We have gotten the timing marks and set them correctly but when trying to start the car it rolls over but it flooding out. Cannot figure out if when moving the spring taking the tension off, if it is moving enough to take it back out of timing. Do not know what else it could be?
Sunday, July 15th, 2018 AT 6:49 PM (Merged)
Verify the valve and ignition timing if its off. You can have fuel and spark but the vehicle will not start if it is off.
KENDALLLOYD
All of this has been verified but still nothing.
KNUTTY1
  • 1999 ISUZU RODEO
I am in need of help because I am stumped and hopefully somebody out there can help me out and others that have the same symptoms.

Symptoms:

(keeping in mind my vehicle ran like a champ before all this.)

1. My water pump seal was leaking so I replaced it w/a new H20 pump and seal. To do this I had to take the timing belt off too, and so I decided to replace the belt with a new timing belt.
2. The H2O leak stopped and while putting on the belt, I thought that if the belt was not broken I could just put on the new belt and the timing of the engine would not be changed (still in time)and the engine will run fine. Keeping in mind the belt did not break on me while driving.
3. Put back everything and manually cranked the engine two revolutions to make sure there is no resistance between the lifters and cam and there was none. Note: I noticed a strong smell of gasoline while cranking the engine.
4. I then started my vehicle and it hesitated for a bit, like it did not want to start, but it did. My engine idling was okay until I went to give it some gas and then I heard backfiring through my intake air filter. I tried backing up and driving it in the drive way and it would backfire bad and stall.
5. I took everything (belt and tension-er) off and lined up the cam marks and oil pump marks to see if that was the problem and made sure that #2 piston was at TDC, because when the oil pump mark is lined up like the book says the #2 piston is a TDC and reinstalled the belt and tension-er. Manually cranked it again to line up the markings and the right (drivers)side cam sprocket seems to be off like one tooth.
6. Went to start the engine again and it started up strong and fine and idle good, but it would still backfire, but less then the first attempt.
7. Repeated the timing process again and made sure that the cams where right on the markings and oil pump was on too.
8. Started it up and still the same thing, backfire.
9. Was able to drive it with backfiring here and there, mainly when the car was within zero to thirty mph. The car felt like there was no power to it.
10. Was able to get the check engine light read and there were three trouble codes.
1. EGR valve.
2. Random misfires.
3. O2 sensor-(upstream).
11. I redid everything, timing marks, oil pump, changed new plugs and cleaned the EGR valve and started the engine again and started fine, idles fine, and there where less backfiring when I go to give it gas. But once in a while it would backfire.(I can smell a strong odor of gasoline.)

I am up to this point, and very stumped. Followed the book to "how to properly replace the timing belt and markings" and still having problems. Please can anyone help me?
I have not changed the EGR valve or O2 sensors yet.
What is still wrong? Help please.
DRCRANKNWRENCH
I found a run through to install a timing belt on Trooper. It has both single and dual cam instructions. Make sure you reference right specs.

Here is the link:

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/isuzu-trooper-1994-isuzu-trooper-replacing-timing-belt

It shows where the timing mark alignment notches are.

I hope this helps.
ELCOLADO31
  • 1997 ISUZU RODEO
After change water pump, the passenger side camshaft is match with valve point, but driver side mismatched timing between the crankshaft and driver side camshaft.
How do I it fix?
DAVE H
Hello, thanks for the donation much appreciated.

You will need to remove the timing belt again and reset your timing marks correctly.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Timing belt

Removal;
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove air cleaner assembly. Remove upper fan shroud. Remove cooling fan assembly. Remove all accessory drive belts.
Remove fan pulley assembly. Remove crankshaft pulley bolt. Using Puller (J-8614-01) or equivalent, remove crankshaft pulley. Remove oil cooler hose from timing cover. Remove timing belt cover. Align all timing marks prior to belt removal. See Fig. 1 -Fig. 4 . Remove belt tensioner pusher and timing belt.
Fig. 1: Aligning Timing Belt Sprockets (DOHC)
Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_is1_1.jpg

Fig. 2: Aligning Camshaft Timing Marks (DOHC)
Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_is2_1.jpg

Fig. 3: Aligning Camshaft Timing Marks (SOHC)
Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_is3_1.jpg

Fig. 4: Aligning Crankshaft Timing Marks (All Models)
Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_is4_1.jpg

Installation
CAUTION:To ensure correct timing belt installation, ensure direction of rotation arrows are pointing in proper direction. If timing belt is being reused, install belt in original direction of rotation.

Ensure all timing marks are aligned. Install belt over one pulley at a time starting at crankshaft sprocket and working counterclockwise. Belt should go over tensioner last. Secure belt at each pulley during installation with pinch clips.
Compress timing belt tensioner pusher and insert pin to retain pusher. Apply pressure to tensioner against belt, and install tensioner pusher. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
Loosen tensioner pulley bolt. Apply pressure on belt by rotating tensioner. Tighten tensioner pulley bolt to specification.. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Remove pin from timing belt tensioner pusher.
Remove pinch clips from timing belt (if used). Install crankshaft pulley, tightening center bolt finger tight. Rotate crankshaft 2 turns clockwise. Ensure timing belt tensioner pusher rod protrudes proper amount.
If timing belt tensioner pusher rod protrusion is not within specification, remove pusher, loosen tensioner pulley bolt and readjust. Reset timing belt tensioner pusher rod and repeat step 3 . Remove crankshaft pulley and install timing belt cover. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten nuts and bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Adjust drive belts to proper tension.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_216.png

Sunday, July 15th, 2018 AT 6:50 PM (Merged)