BRAKE PROBLEM

• da3and29
  • 1998 Isuzu Rodeo

Hi, I noticed a grinding, or clunking noise on braking and it seemed to be related to the passenger side front wheel. I found the inside portion of the rotor badly worn and grooved. I replaced the pads and rotor but the problem still exists. There are no lights on in the dash to notify of a brake system failure.

Brian

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 4:01 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Safely lift the wheel off the ground. Apply brakes and release. Does the wheel spin when released?

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 4:50 PM
  • da3and29

Yes, the wheel spins after the brake pedal is released.

Brian

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 6:47 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

The idea that one side of the rotor looks bad makes me believe the caliper is sticking which could cause it to overheat. Have you checked all steering components as well as the ball joints?

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:34 PM
  • da3and29

Steering and suspension components are in good order. When I compare the sides of the rotor, the inside is about 1/3 the remaining thickness of the outside. Inside bein about 1/8" thick and the outside about 3/8".

Brian

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Brian, if there is only 1/8" left, the rotor needs replaced. It should be closer to 1/2 inch. The piston itself may be coming out too far and causing a noise.

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 7:59 PM
  • da3and29

I have new pads and a new rotor on and when I test drove it, the same******** motion existed under braking.

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 8:10 PM
  • da3and29

Do you think I should change caliper?

Brian

Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 10:32 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

No, if it releases properly, the caliper is most likely fine. Have you checked all brakes? Have you checked wheel bearing?

Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
  • da3and29

I havent checked the rear pads, but I did check and repack the wheel bearings on the front passenger side. Is there a way to check for excessive wear on the bearing? I didnt notice anything unusual when I looked at them.

Brian

Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 3:13 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Basically, remove the weight from the wheel and shake the wheel back and forth to see if there is excessive play. Also, with the bearing out, check the race and rollers for pits or damage. You may want to check the rear brakes too. The noise could be coming from there.

Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM