RADIATOR FANS HARDLY EVER COME ON ? PLEASE HELP :(

1998 Honda Torneo

Torneo98SIR-T

July, 29, 2012 AT 12:40 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this site. My temperature gauge goes up for about 30 seconds then goes to normal. My vehicle is a 1998 Honda Torneo SIR-T (2.2L Dohc Vtec). I just recently replaced, brand new, fan motors, ECT sensor ( the one that goes in the engine core/block), and thermostat, all aftermarket parts. I changed the fan switch sensor ( the one that goes in the gooseneck) about two yrs ago. The temperature gauge either shoots up ( to full H) and goes down soon or shoots up and stays up for about 5 mins then goes normal. But there are no visible signs yet I smell coolant everytime I reach my destination. The fans take forever to come on, and when they do, they go off again real soon (in about 10 seconds ). Any suggestions?

July, 29, 2012 AT 12:43 PM

From constant overheating, you need to start with a leak down test to verify that the head gasket is good. It sounds like compression is entering the coolant and superhot coolant is spiking the temp and coming back down.

The t stat may have been the original issue but it is beyond that now with the overheating

Torneo98SIR-T

July, 29, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

1) whats the difference between the temp sensor in the block and the sensor at the gooseneck anyway? 2) Is it possible that I could have a faulty gooseneck sensor?

July, 29, 2012 AT 10:33 PM

The one by the thermostat is the coolant sensor for the fuel injection control. The sensor on the back of the head is for the temp gauge.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet