1998 Honda Civic hona Civic dx ECM?

• 1 POST
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC

I am pulling codes for p1298 ELD circuit high input/ failed ecm. I have replaced the ELD and no change. I have codes p0501, p0135, and p0141 as well. Im out of ideas. My speedo is going hay wire. And the car just died on me today. It will crank just wont turn over and run. Should I have my ecm reprogrammed/mapped?

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 AT 9:18 PM

Lets focus on the ELD issue first.

Turn off lights and ignition. Disconnect the 3 pin wiring harness at the ELD and check for continuity between ground and pin #2 (black wire). If there is no continuity, repair the black wire between ELD and ground. If there is continuity, go to next step.

Check for continuity between terminal #3 (red and green wire) and PCM 16 pin connector, terminal (pin) 16. See Pic 1 If there is no continuity, repair red and green wire between the ELD and the PCM. If there is continuity, go to next step.

Reconnect the connectors. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Measure the voltage between PCM 32 pin connector terminal 9 (brown and black wire) and PCM 16 pin connector terminal 16. (Green and red wire). While measuring the voltage, turn the lights on low beam. If the voltage doesn't decrease, replace the ELD. If it does decrease, suspect a bad PCM. Switch the PCM with a known good one and retest.

Let me know if this helps. Since the ELD has already been replaced, chances are you have a wiring issue. The PCM's rarely go bad. Once you get this taken care of, let me know and we can move on to the other issues.

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 AT 9:39 PM