FLUCUATING TEMP GUAGE PROBLEM

1998 Honda Civic

pmp

June, 11, 2012 AT 2:45 AM

Hello, I have this ongoing problem and I dont know what to do and im sick of it already. The cooling system is flucuating and if I let the car sit and idle the fan comes on normally. If I take it for like a 20 minute drive then get to a light or a drive thru the temperature guage rises until a certain temp. (I brang it to a shop and they said it was the fan switch so I changed it and I still have the same problem. They also said the fan isnt coming on till 260. I also have a 1-3 minute video of me parked and what the guage does and where in the guage the fan turns on. What else could it be?

hmac300

June, 11, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

Try replacing your coolant temp sensor it's on the right rear of cyl head

pmp

June, 11, 2012 AT 4:09 PM

Is there any way to test it with a volt meter

hmac300

June, 11, 2012 AT 4:52 PM

You can test to see if there is volts going to it and out but that's about all. You can measure ohms-resistance it shold be at 0 degrees 5000 ohm 104d-1000 ohm176d-500 ohm. This could be aconnection problem or a ground wire loose in dash maybe. If yo have one of those infrared temp gauges, see what it reads when your fan kicks on

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser