DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE IGNITION SWITCH ON MY 98 PASSPORT AFTER CHANGING IGNITION LOCK?

1998 Honda Accord

Frankster

June, 29, 2012 AT 1:48 PM

Recently someone tried to steal my car and were not able. They damaged the ignition lock, steering wheel was locked and key would not turn. I changed the ignition lock everything inside looked well, lights on dash stereo etc but when I tried starting it won't, I noticed a tick in fusebox everytime I turn it to start. I put another car to charged mine and it turn once or twice after many times turning to start, I was thinking maybe the ignition switch needs change? This is our family car and need to get it running ASAP didn't have $1,000 to pay at dealership thieves. Please help. Thankyou.

Wrenchtech

June, 29, 2012 AT 2:47 PM

The immobilizer is locking you out because you are using the wrong key. You will need to have the dealer reprogram the security code.

June, 29, 2012 AT 2:50 PM

Most likely the ignition switch is bad and has to be replaced.

Frankster

June, 30, 2012 AT 6:50 AM

Thankyou for the quick response this year vehicle hasn no security code so I am putting my money on switch, and thanks once again I will definately follow up after replacing this.

Replace Ignition Switch
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000