WHICH A/C COMPONENTS BESIDES COMPRESSOR THAT NEEDS PAG OIL DURING INSTALLATION?

1998 GMC Jimmy

roycar71

May, 22, 2012 AT 9:58 AM

Based on my instruction for my new compressor. I have to pure out oil and leave 2 oz's of oil. I will be replacing my acumulator/drier and condenser too. Will the oil from compressor supply the right amount in other components if they need it? Or does each component needs it own individual amount of oil?

merlin2021

May, 22, 2012 AT 11:05 AM

If the system is dry, each unit does require a certain amount of oil. A manual will. Have this info

Wrenchtech

May, 22, 2012 AT 12:44 PM

All the oil circulates through all components. They are trying to give you a gauge of how much oil will be needed to replace what would have been lost with specific component replacement.

roycar71

May, 22, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

There are no instruction for my acumulator/drier or orifice tube. My condenser has not arrived from "Rock Auto" yet. So that must mean 2 oz oil is what is needed for compressor and that will circulate and take care all the rest. Am right? If I do short myself on oil, Once I put it all back together, is there a aersol can that you can put on low port to replenish oil?

Wrenchtech

May, 22, 2012 AT 10:15 PM

You're really jumping into a job that you shouldn't be. Repairing A/C requires a lot more understanding than you are being led to believe. If you are replacing a compressor, accumulator and condenser, you should be adding 6 to 8 ounces total. I usually put 4 in the compressor and 2 or 3 in the accumulator.

roycar71

May, 23, 2012 AT 9:24 AM

Sorry for being book smart at ya. I guess I can over exceed what the instruction say huh? How bout 2 ounces a piece for everything? If I am under or over a little, it won't cause any problems right? Plus, I appreciate your concern about me jumping into a job like this, but I have invested in parts and tools for this job. Plus, alot to these service station are quote on this service. One place, (I will not say name), quote me over $1200 and the place did even include a condenser. I got brand new compressor, condenser, orifice tube(with orifice tube installer/puller), A/C flush solvent, flush gun kit, and new compressor tube assembly for under $500. If all goes as planned. I intend to do the vacuum it by renting gauges and vacuum for auto zone. Thanks.

Wrenchtech

May, 23, 2012 AT 9:52 AM

You do whatever you want. I'm done debating you and your internet training. If you think all cars and systems are created equal, go for it. I don't know where you got those instructions but they are for a V5 compressor which you don't have but I'm sure you knew that.

roycar71

May, 23, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

I went to rock auto and it gave me all compressor that will fit my make model. I choose this one. These instruction came with compressor. This why I want to make sure it done right. Thank you.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour