CAN HOSE WITH TUBLAR FITTING ON COMPRESSOR BE FLUSHED

1998 GMC Jimmy

roycar71

May, 15, 2012 AT 8:54 AM

I need to replace my compressor and some other components. Does the hose with a tublar fitting be flushed or is it a filter that needs to be replaced along with hose.

Wrenchtech

May, 15, 2012 AT 10:02 AM

That's called a muffler and yes it can be flushed but the condenser cannot be flushed. It is a "bypass" type condenser so anything blown through it will simply go around the restriction and fix nothing. The condenser has to be replaced if you had a compressor failure.

roycar71

May, 15, 2012 AT 10:46 AM

Mechanic told me "the compressor is bad and need to replace and do an a/c flush". He didn't say any thing is wrong condenser. So I guess I can take off all tubes that lead to condenser and evaporator. Flush them. Flush evaporator. Replace accumulator, orifice tube and compressor. Does this sound right? Is there anything I can do to condenser if while flush other components or just leave as if nothing is wrong with it?

Wrenchtech

May, 15, 2012 AT 10:50 AM

I work in South Florida and do a lot of A/C work.
No, you can not ignore the condenser. The condenser has to be replaced after a compressor failure. It cannot be flushed and will cause a premature failure of the new compressor if not replaced. You also need to find the reason for the original failure. Compressors usually have help in failing.

roycar71

May, 15, 2012 AT 11:05 AM

The worked fine for bout 2 weeks after getting recharge. The Mechanic told the compressor warped and that why I lost freon. He did not say condenser is bad.

Wrenchtech

May, 15, 2012 AT 11:08 AM

Great, do whatever you want. I'm not here to debate you.

roycar71

May, 15, 2012 AT 7:08 PM

Well, I not disagreeing with ya, I am just getting conflicting info, am want to come to compromise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu8hA9F9S4&feature=related

The video here says, I can flush evaporator like condenser after a compressor replacement. Let me know if I am missing something or just this professional clashing on precedures. Thanks.

Wrenchtech

May, 15, 2012 AT 7:58 PM

Yes, you are missing something. There are 2 different styles of condenser. One type has a continuous serpentine tube that CAN be flushed and the other has a manifold feed on one side that feeds all tubes at once and it CAN NOT be flushed because you can have 45 out of 50 tubes plugged solid and the flush will run out the 5 that aren't plugged. I am a tech in South Florida and I have worked at shops that are exclusively A/C only shops so I do a real lot of A/C diagnosis.

roycar71

May, 16, 2012 AT 8:48 AM

How can I tell from my make model of vehicle which one I have. Thanks.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500