HOW TO CONFIRM IF A/C SYSTEM IS DISCHARGED OF PRESSURE

1998 GMC Jimmy

roycar71

May, 7, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

Hello, I have just recently came back from mechanic and was told I need to replace my compressor because it has "hole" and is "warped". He did a evacuate and recharge to test it. He told me I need to replace drier (I assuming this is the accumulator too), and orifice tube. Along with flushing system. I am able to see the parts to replace and they don't seem hard to take off. I have an empty can of Freon with psi gauge. When I hook it up to low port of system it reads 0 while engine is on and a/c is full blast. Is this reliable indicator to take apart a/c components with out danger?

p.S. It seems the mechanic evacuated, recharged, and evacuated again. : -)

mhpautos

May, 7, 2012 AT 1:04 AM

You should have both sides of the system checked with the correct A/C manifold gauge, never crack open any lines to check for pressure.

roycar71

May, 7, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

Harbor frieght has gauage manifold with low and high gauges. Could this be something used to confirm presure and once confirmed I could take off components? Thanks.

May, 7, 2012 AT 2:48 AM

Yes, that will work.

roycar71

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:07 AM

If there is presure. Can vacuum be used? Thanks again.

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:10 AM

There may be a small amount of residual pressure. You can vent that with your gauge set.

roycar71

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

Well is that common to have no pressure on low part and some on high port?

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:18 AM

roycar71

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:24 AM

Ok, I will cost compare amount of gauges vs. Going to shop that would do a evacaute. Thanks.

May, 7, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

Good set is about 100.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911