The engine is starting to shimmy while in drive and reverse

JENCARLSON83
  • 1998 FORD WINDSTAR

When the brakes are applied and the van is idling it shakes? Checked the brake fluid, no abs light on no check engine light on. It just started doing this after the brake pads were replaced. We thought that he made a bubble in the brake line, so we bled them a refilled with brake fluid. It has not done this as of yet but I'm afraid to drive it today because I have my 8 month old and 7 year old to drive around.

Could it be the master cylinder? Or a vacuum leak?

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM

ASEMASTER6371

The front rotors may be out of round if he did not re surface them during the process.
If it is the motor, then yes, it sounds like a vecuum leak. Look around the master cylinder for the big hose being attached to the unit behind the master cylinder.

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 7:38 PM
JENCARLSON83

If it is a vecuum leak is this something that is easy to fix for someone on a tight budget?

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 8:15 PM
ASEMASTER6371

It is an easy repair. Just have to locate it.

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM
JENCARLSON83

GREAT! Thank you so very much! You are most helpful! This site is awesome!

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 8:23 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Thank you

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 8:32 PM
JENCARLSON83

Ok, I found out that my bf sprayed seafoam into the intake and it got onto the MAF sensor, we cleaned it out good and replaced it just now. Van starts fine and idols in park fine, but when put into gear (reverse) it stalls out. Could it still be the MAF or could the seafoam be the culprit? Could it have affected anything else other than the MAF sensor?

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 12:02 AM
ASEMASTER6371

No, the sea foam does do nothing but de carbon the intake. It does nothing to the mass air flow. Besides, it cannot be cleaned.

Yes. It could be a mass air flow but you need it confirmed before spending the money.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
JENCARLSON83

What about a bad torque converter? I Have had a lot of people say it could be that.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:39 AM
ASEMASTER6371

When a converter fails, it usually wont move at all, front or backwards.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:58 AM
JENCARLSON83

Ok well now the car will not move I tried putting it in reverse and it dies. I tried drive and it dies. Nuetral and Park are the only ones that work. So now I am looking at prices for a converter. Is that all it could be at this point?

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 4:20 PM
ASEMASTER6371

No, most likely if the converter failed, there is also internal damage from dirt and debris from the converter. The unit will have to be removed and at that point, the trans shop will most likely tell you it needs to be overhauled.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 4:31 PM