Front brake cable replacement

JDZUPAN
  • 1998 FORD RANGER

How do you disconnect the front brake cable from the pedal assembly?

My truck has an e-brake cable that is broken into three parts, front that is connected to the pedal, middle that is the middle and the rear that is connected to the two rear drums.

The front cable is difficult because the spring has to be rewound in order to get the cable off.

Friday, April 29th, 2011 AT 10:27 PM

KHLOW2008

Here are the procedures let me know if you need anything else.

PARK BRAKE CABLE; FRONT (RANGER)

Removal & Installation
Remove the parking brake control. See PARK BRAKE CONTROL. Disconnect the front parking brake cable from the parking brake control. See Fig. 12. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit housing. Compress the front parking brake cable and conduit-to-parking brake control clip. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit housing. To install, reverse removal procedure. Make sure cable is routed through loop on take up spool. See Fig. 13.

PARK BRAKE CONTROL (RANGER)
Removal & Installation

NOTE:
Make sure the parking brake control is fully released.

1. Relieve the tension on the parking brake system by pulling down on the parking brake intermediate cable and inserting a 5/32" (4 mm) drill bit or equivalent retainer in the parking brake control. See Fig. 14.

2. Remove the left front fender splash shield screws, pushpin, bolts and electrical connector locators. Remove the splash shield.

3. Disconnect the front parking brake cable and conduit at the locating hole end of the connector. Disconnect the front parking brake cable and conduit from the parking brake intermediate cable. See Fig. 15.

4. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit from the bracket by compressing the retainer from the front parking brake cable and conduit from the bracket. See Fig. 16. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit from the bracket. Remove the parking brake release mounting bolts. See Fig. 17.

5. Remove the parking brake control and front parking brake cable and conduit by disconnecting the parking brake signal switch electrical connector and removing the three parking brake control bolts. See Fig. 18. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts and nuts to specification.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers

+8
Monday, May 2nd, 2011 AT 9:11 AM
LUDA08
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Brakes problem
2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

my truck moves quite a bit even after I set the parking brake. The parking brake line doesn't seem to be adjustable, am I missing it, or do I need to take it in for repair? Also, thanks for your help on my acceleration problem it was a vaccum issue with the egr sensor.

Friday, December 1st, 2017 AT 6:26 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

Parking brake is self-adjusting find a little traveled road or empty lot bake up @15mph then stab brake pedal this will activate adjuster. Do this a few tims till truck holds on about 5 clicks odf pedal.

LUDA08

Thank you I will try that asap

LIGHTHOUSE08
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Brakes problem
2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 136, 00 miles

I drove approximately 10 miles with my emergency brake on. Any permanent damage to the truck? It did smell hot

BMRFIXIT

Not to the truck but need to have the rear brakes checked and maybe readjust

need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

OAUTO
  • 1994 FORD RANGER

Hi, I just change the rear brakes on my 94 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder two wheel drive 9 inch drums brakes; I can not turn the wheels by hand, I parked on a hill and put the shift in neutral and the truck did not roll. When I check the emergency brake cable it is tight, I can not fine an adjustment on the emergency brake cable, I adjusted the auto adjuster on the brake shoes all the way in as far as they will go. My question is they any other way I can adjust the emergency brake cable or free the wheels up?

Unless you were having easy rear wheel lockup or the parking brake cables were previously over-adjusted, I don't think the adjustment is the problem. Ford has more than their share of sticking cables that don't fully release and that will cause the problem you're having.

To check for that, first check if both shoes are resting against the anchor pin on top of the backing plate. Next, use your thumb to push the parking brake strut rod against the anti-rattle spring pressure. That bar should move easily at least 1/8". If either of those observations don't turn out to be true, flex the parking brake cable with both hands, somewhere behind the backing plate and watch to see if one of the shoes moves outward a little. If it does, the cable is sticking. Use a pry bar to pry the parking brake lever, (hanging behind the rear shoe) rearward, then check the strut rod again for a little free play.

OAUTO

I never had any problems with the brakes locking up before I change the shoes.
The Brake cable was sticking and I free it up. The strut rod was tight with the spring compressed all the way. The emergency cable that is going the full length of the undercarriage has tension on it as if the emergency brake is on, it is not on.

Where is the adjustment for the emergency brake located?

I had adjusted the self adjustments all the way in when I replaced the brakes.

There are two designs of parking brake. One is automatic adjusting. It has a toothed lever that drops down onto the pedal when you push it. If it is tight when the pedal is released, then the front cable is sticking. You should be able to pull on it under the truck unless it is rusted solid. If you have the manually adjusted system, look for a nut on the end of a threaded rod either at the end of the front cable where it connects to the intermediate cable or on the side where it attaches to the frame.

When you found the strut rod that is tight, you found the reason the brakes are tight. You really shouldn't have to adjust the parking brake cable unless someone made it tighter before.