I AM TRYING TO GET MY TRUCK TO START

• Jodykean101
  • 1998 Ford F-250

I am trying to get my truck to start. I have replaced the starter motor and the battery, the starter relay, and other relays, The battery was tested and is producing 12.4v. The ignition switch works. When I turn the key to turn the truck over all I get is a repeated clicking noise from the solenoid on the starter. Ive made sure all the grounds are clean and grounding. I also replaced the battery terminals. I am wondering if you know why my vechicle is having problems? I do not have a lot of money so I do not want to take this truck into a mechanic.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 8:31 PM

• rasmataz

Charge the battery till it comes up to atleast 12.6 volts-also go and review this link thoroughly: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 8:59 PM
  • JDL

Hi, use a digital multimeter across battery posts. Have helper turn key to crank, what is the meter reading? Generic info says it shouldn't below 9.6 volts. You may need to load test the battery?

I looked at f250 starter circuit, automatic tranny.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
  • JDL

Hey Ras, didn't see you, maybe you'll can use a wiring diagram? Have a good day.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 9:04 PM
  • Jodykean101

The reading is 11.25, Ive load tested the battery its fine. Im just not sure why its not starting?

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

NEVER MIND ME!

MOST COMMON THINGS I SEE DAILY---MANY OF THESE FOLKS "PRETEND" THEY HAVE DONE IT ALL---GIVE ME "THAT LOOK" WHEN I SUGGEST THE STUFF IN THE LOWER HALF OF MY LINK--THEN THERE'S THE OLE "EUREKA LOOK" WHEN I WAS RIGHT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

RETURN WITH A GRIN!

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 10:06 PM