STICKING WHEN HOT

1998 Ford F-150

jprs22

September, 19, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

98' f150 4.2V6 5 speed. Around town, everything is fine. When I drive 60+ miles, and truck gets good and hot, the clutch starts sticking. The pedal gets harder to push when hot and it disengages just fine, but when I put it in gear and let the clutch out it won't engage (like it should), and then all of a sudden it pops itself like I'm dumping the clutch. No fluid leaks inside or out. And it works fine after it cools back down. HELP!

September, 19, 2012 AT 3:35 PM

Clutch master or slave is failing. I would replace both together.

M_H_RITZEL

September, 25, 2012 AT 2:18 PM

Check for anything blocking the air circulation. Check the clutch line to make sure it is not too close to the exhaust.

jprs22

September, 26, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

After some research and talking to another forum I decided to change the fluid. The clutch pedal is definitely easier to push, but I won't know if it solved the problem until I drive further and get it good and hot. We think the old fluid was contaminated and reached a boiling point. I will post back when I've driven it further.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions