1. Move the seat fully rearward.
2. If equipped with a manual transmission, place the transmission into second gear.
3. Disarm the Air bag system. Refer to.
4. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
5. Position the battery junction box aside.
6. Remove the bulkhead electrical connectors from inside the engine compartment.
7. Remove the bulkhead electrical connector insulator.
8. Unclip the bulkhead electrical connectors from the dash panel.
9. If equipped, remove the center console.
10. Remove the lower instrument panel steering column cover.
11. If equipped, remove the valance panel.
12. Detach the restraint control module (RCM) electrical connector.
13. Detach the electronic blend door actuator electrical connector.
14. Detach the climate control head vacuum harness connector.
15. Remove the driver's side and passenger side scuff plates.
16. Position the driver's side and passenger side door weatherstrip seals aside.
17. Remove the driver's side and passenger side A-pillar lower trim panels.
18. If equipped, remove the alternative fuel control module (AFCM).
The AFCM is attached with velcro.
1. Remove the four covers, the four screws and remove the passenger side assist handle.
2. Remove the driver's side and passenger side windshield side garnish mouldings.
3. Detach the brake pedal position switch electrical connector.
4. If equipped, detach the clutch pedal position switch.
5. On Expedition and Navigator models, detach the adjustable pedal motor connector, if equipped.
6. Remove the audio unit ground and the GEM/CTM ground bolts.
7. Detach the driver's side instrument panel main wiring harness connectors.
8. Remove the instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement.
9. Detach the air bag sliding contact electrical connectors and the anti-theft sensor electrical connector.
10. Detach the remaining electrical connectors on the steering column.
11. If equipped, detach the transmission range indicator from the steering column.
12. Lower the steering column.
13. Remove the instrument panel bolts through the steering column opening.
14. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement bolt below the driver's side corner of the cigar lighter and power point.
15. Detach the inertia fuel shutoff switch electrical connector.
16. Remove the passenger side ground bolt.
17. If equipped, detach the air suspension wiring harness electrical connector.
18. Detach the passenger side instrument panel main harness connectors.
19. Release all the wiring harness locators from the cowl side panel.
20. Detach the climate control wiring harness connector.
21. Remove the radio chassis. Refer to.
22. Disconnect the three cable locators from the lower instrument panel channel and remove the audio unit antenna lead-in cable from the instrument panel.
23. Remove the instrument panel relay cover.
24. Remove the instrument panel bolt on the relay bracket.
25. Remove the glove compartment.
CAUTION Carry a live air bag with the bag and trim cover pointed away from your body. An accidental deployment will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. Place a live air bag on a bench or other surface with the trim cover up.
1. Remove the passenger side air bag module.
2. Remove the instrument panel bolts through the passenger side air bag module opening.
3. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement bolt below the driver's side corner of the glove compartment.
4. Position the carpet aside and loosen the instrument panel floor brace.
5. Remove the passenger side instrument panel cowl side nut.
6. Remove the driver's side instrument panel cowl side nut.
7. On all models except for Navigator, remove the instrument panel cowl top bolts.
8. On Navigator, remove the defroster grille assembly.
9. Remove the cowl panel mounting bolts.