1998 Ford Explorer Overdrive Solenoid replacement

AUSTRALIA_CHUBBYKID
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
I have just purchased a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT and the overdrive light is flashing. I was informed that the Overdrive Solenoid needs to be replaced. I have looked at the transmission and notice possible 3 solenoid-like shaped items. Can you tell me if I am looking at the right area and how easy would it be to replace myself?
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 4:34 AM

KHLOW2008
The OD light flashing does not necessarily mean the OD solenoid is faulty or malfunctioning. It could be other controls and a scan is required to retrieve the trouble codes.

What was the trouble codes retrieved?
I can't seem to find any diagram showing the exact location of the soleniods. What is your transmission code (model)?
-1
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:32 PM
AUSTRALIA_CHUBBYKID
Thanks KHLow2008. From research so far, and this will sound amateurish, I will need to purchase the OD2 Code Reader. From my local dealer it would cost me more to get them to read than for me to purchase one, and it sounds like this is the way to go. I am not sure of the transmission model. Couldnt find any information any where including the owners manual.
-2
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
KHLOW2008
We deal with a lot of members who wish to DIY and does not have enough experience or knowledge so it is nothing to worry about. We would try our best to help you get the problem solved.
However keep in mind that without the physical vehicle and actual symptoms, we depend on you to provide the necessary information and if any information is wrong or missing, that would hamper and cause complications.

I did some research and information indicates your transmission model should be 5R55E.

Code readers are rather cheap but scan tools are expensive so you can't blame the dealer for charging you an arm or leg.
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 3:36 PM