HOW DO I DISENGAGE 4X4 LOCKED IN LOW?

1998 Ford Expedition

rafdo

October, 10, 2011 AT 10:12 PM

98 Ford Expedition 5.4L locked in Low. Tried usual recommedations, neutral-brake, etc, backed up, disconnected wire to tranfer case, checked fuses in cab & under hood. Lights indicate 4x4 Low even with 23 & 24 removed? Out in country so towed to Ford dealer who won't give much info or talk to mechanic. Wants to replace ECU module F85Z-14B205-KAS for $900 w labor?$$?

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:10 AM

It sounds like he wants to change the GEM module. This is one of the controls for the transfer case. Did he check to make sure the motor is not failing? There is a motor on the case that is a common failure.

rafdo

October, 11, 2011 AT 5:10 PM

Roy, thanks for responding, Ford dealer 50 miles away, service says mechanic is too busy to call. Probably read the computer & never looked. Is disconnecting the battery worth trying first or disengaging low possible? They may charge the same for everything. Wish I was mechanically inclined & not my only vehicle.
Richard

October, 11, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

Ok, yes, you can try. It will re boot the GEM module but may not work.
You can also try raising the car taking the pressure off the hweels and see if that frees up the motor.

rafdo

October, 11, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

Is there a simple way a mechanic can disengage from 4x4 if I don't use 4x4? At Dealer, only access is via mechanic

October, 11, 2011 AT 6:09 PM

If you could disable the motor on the case in the high position.

You dont need a dealer, go to a local shop. They are cheaper and in a lot of cases, much better

rafdo

October, 11, 2011 AT 8:44 PM

Thanks, what are the steps? Limited options being long distance

October, 11, 2011 AT 8:49 PM

Motor has to be removed from the case and see what position it is in. There is a sun gear that slides inside and it must change positions. This is best done by someone familiar with transfer cases.

rafdo

October, 11, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

Thanks a lot. As a mechanic, which recent model awd/4x4 suv would you buy for occasional 3,000-5,000lbs towing, longevity, dependable.

October, 11, 2011 AT 11:25 PM

Toyota Tundra, extremely reliable, low frequency of repair. A little pricy but worth it.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Axle Replacement
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage