BRAKES

• deshawn
  • 1998 Ford Expedition

When I step on the brakes normal my lights do not go on. When I step real hard the light come on. Help? 98 Expedition 5.4

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 2:11 AM

• caradiodoc

Which lights? The brake lights on the rear or the warning light on the dash?

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 2:18 AM
  • deshawn

The rear lights sorry.

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 2:23 AM
  • caradiodoc

Ford has had a very odd brake light switch design for a long time. There is no adjustment possible or needed. If it takes too long to turn on most likely the contacts inside are pitted or arced. Replacing the switch will solve the problem.

The other possibility is broken wires going to the switch. Because it is attached to and moves back and forth with the brake pedal, the wires are constantly flexing. There could be an intermittent break that makes a temporary connection when the pedal moves far enough. To check for that before you replace the switch, use a small jumper wire to connect the two terminals on the switch without pushing on the brake pedal. If the brake lights do not come on, flex the wires a little. If that makes the lights flicker on, repair the wires instead of replacing the switch.

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 3:21 AM
  • 2CarPros Mike
  • Admin
  • 712 posts

CHECK YOUR STOP LIGHT SWITCH AT THE TOP END OF THE BRAKE PEDAL

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE....LOOK AT THE DIFFERENT VIEWS

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Stoplight-Switch/1998-Ford-Expedition-2WD/_/N-j9te6Z9cias?itemIdentifier=120097_0_0_

IT MAY BE "SHOT"/ WORN/ NOT INSTALLED WELL

A HAND MIRROR AND A GOOD FLASHLIGHT MIGHT AID YOU IN COMING UP WITH YOUR BATTLE PLAN, AS OPPOSED TO DOING THE "CONTORTIONIST THING" WITH YOUR NECK!

YOU STILL MAY HAVE TO "CONTORT", ONCE YOU CAN SEE WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT

Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 11:39 AM