RUNNING THE CODES

• joshuasharp27
  • 1998 Dodge Intrepid

One more thing how do I check the codes of the car

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

• caradiodoc

Cycle the ignition switch three times from "off" to "run" without cranking the engine, then watch them display in the odometer.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 11:55 PM
  • joshuasharp27

Will that tell me whats wrong with my car cause I talk to you last night and I went home this moring and checked my battery and it still didnt start

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
  • caradiodoc

Fault codes only tell you the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, never the exact part. If it were that easy we wouldn't need mechanics with diagnostic skills.

In fact, the sensor in the circuit related to a fault is actually the cause of the problem about half of the time. The other half of the problems are caused by things like spread terminals in a connector, corroded terminals, corroded splices, cut wires, and things like that.

Before we continue, we need to be clear on the exact symptoms because "doesn't start" can mean a lot of different things. Does the engine crank, (turn over), but not start, or does it not even crank? What did you find for battery voltage? If it doesn't crank, do you hear any relays clicking under the hood when you try to crank the engine?

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 12:40 AM