RUNNING THE CODES

1998 Dodge Intrepid

joshuasharp27

July, 8, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

One more thing how do I check the codes of the car

Wiring Issue?

caradiodoc

July, 8, 2012 AT 11:55 PM

Cycle the ignition switch three times from "off" to "run" without cranking the engine, then watch them display in the odometer.

joshuasharp27

July, 8, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

Will that tell me whats wrong with my car cause I talk to you last night and I went home this moring and checked my battery and it still didnt start

caradiodoc

July, 9, 2012 AT 12:40 AM

Fault codes only tell you the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, never the exact part. If it were that easy we wouldn't need mechanics with diagnostic skills.

In fact, the sensor in the circuit related to a fault is actually the cause of the problem about half of the time. The other half of the problems are caused by things like spread terminals in a connector, corroded terminals, corroded splices, cut wires, and things like that.

Before we continue, we need to be clear on the exact symptoms because "doesn't start" can mean a lot of different things. Does the engine crank, (turn over), but not start, or does it not even crank? What did you find for battery voltage? If it doesn't crank, do you hear any relays clicking under the hood when you try to crank the engine?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Coolant Drain and Refill