RUNS FINE UNTIL TEMP GOES JUST ABOVE MIDDLE LINE THEN ACTS LIKE OUT OF FUEL AND DIES.

1998 Chrysler Sebring

Snuffy

March, 19, 2012 AT 11:29 PM

The tank is 3/4 full. Runs fine for weeks now (just got it) but went on a long trip and it acted like it was out of fuel. Temp was really hot but needle said just over 1/2 way. I checked for collapsed vac lines. All seemed good. Radiator fluid was not hot in overfill bucket. I pulled the top radiator hose at the engine and there was no thermostat. Must be on the side of eng, at the other end of hose? Mech's couldn't fine anything. Has done it twice now. Only when hot.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

March, 19, 2012 AT 11:57 PM

Do you have a check engine light? Check and test the coolant temperature sensor/switch could be misleading you and also the fuel pressure

caradiodoc

March, 19, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

This sounds typical of a plugged pickup screen in the gas tank. It will cause the engine to run fine when cruising or accelerating but it will lead to stalling when the highest volume of fuel is being pumped, which is during coasting. You can identify that by driving with a fuel pressure gauge stuck under the wiper arm, then see what happens to the pressure when the problem occurs, or you might try unplugging the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and plugging it. That will cause some black smoke from the tail pipe and excessive fuel consumption, so just do that long enough to verify the engine continues to run better.