REAR BRAKE PROBLEM 98

1998 Chrysler Cirrus

commonsence3

March, 29, 2011 AT 6:09 PM

I am changing the brake shoes on my 98 cirrus and cannot get the drum to go back on. I can see rust on the pads where the drum is catching. The drum is hitting on the side of the shoe, like the shoe is too big. I'm sure that I assembled it correctly and with the right parts. The adjuster is turned fully to release tension and I disconnected the e-brake cable so there is no tension from that. So why can I not get the drum back on?

caradiodoc

March, 29, 2011 AT 6:26 PM

They are supposed to be machined which will remove that ridge of rust.

commonsence3

March, 29, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

The drums are brand new

commonsence3

March, 29, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

The shoes are brand new

caradiodoc

March, 29, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

Oh. First look at where the frames of the shoes contact the large anchor pin on top of the backing plate. If both shoes are not touching that pin, the parking brake cable is sticking partially applied or it is over-adjusted.

Next, look at the parking brake strut rod between the two shoes. You should be able to push it at least 1/16" against the anti-rattle spring with your thumb. If there is no free play, again, check the parking brake cable. If the cable is sluggish, use a pry bar to pry the lever that attaches to the rear shoe backwards on the bottom near where the cable is attached.

If you still can't find the problem, try to post a photo that includes the adjuster.

Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element