ERROR CODE P0112 & P1496

• profu
  • 1998 Chrysler Cirrus

Hi everyone. I have a 98 Cirrus LX 2, 5 V6. The check engine light is on and I read the P0112 & P1496 trouble codes. I replaced the air intake temperature sensor, but the codes are still there. I want to replace the PCM, but I am not sure that it shall solve the issue. Also, from time to time, with no rule, the engine stops and restarts immediately. It does this in park or drive, doesn't matter. Do you think the PCM is bad? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

• saturntech9

Before you think about replacing the computer you still have to check the connector wires etc. Do the codes come back as soon as you clear them. Do you have a scan tool that can read live engine data?

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 8:26 PM
  • profu

Yes, I have a scan tool, but I can not clear the codes with it. The live air intake temperature indicated by the scan tool is 127 degrees, regardless the sensor is connected or not.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 8:40 PM
  • saturntech9

Your going to have follow the harness back from the sensor and look for somewhere the wires are pinched/shorted together. Do you have a multimeter?

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 8:51 PM
  • profu

Yes, digital. I measured the voltage on the AIT connector and found 5 volts on one wire and 0.2 volts on the other one, with the engine running. I put a 4500 ohms resistor in series with the connector, but the voltage didn't dropped under 5 volts (4.9).

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 8:57 PM
  • saturntech9

I posted the trouble tree for the code P0112 follow it and let me know what you find.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 9:12 PM
  • profu

Thank you. I will try and come back with the result.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 9:19 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep me posted sorry about the multiple post my computer was acting up.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 9:46 PM
  • profu

So, I did all you've sent me. The signal cable goes to pin 37 and the ground cable goes to pin 43 in PCM connector. The resistance is 0 in both cases, that means continuous cables. Between them there is no resistance, that means no short circuit.
I erased the error codes (engine stopped, key in ON position), and they reappeared instantly, without turning ON the engine.
Furthermore, last autumn my AC went crazy, it started by his own, without pushing the button. Since I didn't knew what to do, I removed the AC relay from the engine fuse box. Now I putted back, but the AC is no working anymore.
Bottom line, the defects in this moment are: - codes P0112 & P1496
- AC not working
- engine stops and restarts randomly
So, I am almost sure that something is wrong with the PCM. What do you think?

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 12:05 PM
  • saturntech9

Steps 5 6 and 7 lead you to a bad pcm diagnoses or not.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 6:32 PM
  • profu

Yes, step 7 confirms.

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 8:22 PM