98 PARKING BRAKE

1998 Chrysler Cirrus

commonsence3

March, 28, 2011 AT 9:49 PM

I have a 98 Chrysler cirrus lxi and something is wrong with the rear brakes. At first the parking brake wouldn't disengage, so I took off the center console and found the the brake cable had come loose from the brake handle. I released the tension on the cable and the parking brake released, but not completely. The wheels will spin now, but not as freely as they should. I tried the remove the brake drum but the adjustment gear will only move about 1 centimeter in either direction. How do I get the drum off?

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

Sounds like the rear parking brake cables are sticking. Usually they will release when you flex the outer casings repeatedly.

commonsence3

March, 28, 2011 AT 10:19 PM

I Tried the but it didnt do anything. Would that affect the movement of the adjustment gear in the drum?

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2011 AT 10:32 PM

Nope. It would help the spring-loaded cables relax. That would retract the shoes which are probably catching on a ridge of rust buildup on the edge of the drums.

Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear