GREEN COOLANT IN RADIATOR BUT ORANGE IN RESERVE ...

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe

T!nk

March, 2, 2013 AT 9:49 PM

Green coolant in radiator but orange in reserve box. Will this cause a problem? I have heard dexcool will damage gaskets. Some will say mixing those colors won't cause harm but others say it will. Thanks in advance for any advice you provide.

Cooling Fan Problem

Radiator On

1 ANSWER

March, 2, 2013 AT 9:57 PM

Yes, it will turn into a gl and will cause all kinds of coolant system issue. Drain everything and refill with one type.

T!nk

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:53 AM

Which color is best to use? I would like to avoid major repairs !

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:56 AM

Use the global coolant. Then it wont matter. Good stuff.

T!nk

March, 3, 2013 AT 6:19 PM

So I am leaning more toward using the old fashion green since that's the color in the radiator. I found out they actually make green dexcool as well. This is a used truck and I have no idea what brand they used. If I simply drain and add regular green - will this be fine or will I need to get a flush. It is still winter time where I stay.I was wondering about the coolant that's in the engine block - I don't know if it stays or evaporates. Thanks for the help !

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Coolant Drain and Refill