IS IT POSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE TRANSMISSION INSTEAD OF THE ENGINE ON MY TRUCK TO CHANGE THE OIL PUMP?

1998 Chevrolet S-10

Mohawkbear

September, 18, 2011 AT 10:08 PM

My oil pump went out on my S10, and the Haynes manual recommends pulling the engine to remove the oil pan, to get to the oil pump. I'm wondering, would it be possible to remove the transmission instead? It's a 2 wheel drive, 4.3L 5 speed, and this seems much easier to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

promechanic

September, 18, 2011 AT 10:33 PM

The factory service manual says to remove the engine from the vehicle. I would not remove the transmission.

Mohawkbear

September, 19, 2011 AT 12:07 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your help! Seems a ridiculous amount of work for an oil pump. Wonder what those engineers were thinking.

promechanic

September, 19, 2011 AT 2:29 AM

You need to take all the spark plugs out they install the compression tester, then turn the engine over a few times. This will give you an accurate reading.

Mohawkbear

September, 19, 2011 AT 10:44 AM

Alright, thanks!

Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram