IS IT POSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE TRANSMISSION INSTEAD OF THE ENGINE ON MY TRUCK TO CHANGE THE OIL PUMP?

• Mohawkbear
  • 1998 Chevrolet S-10

My oil pump went out on my S10, and the Haynes manual recommends pulling the engine to remove the oil pan, to get to the oil pump. I'm wondering, would it be possible to remove the transmission instead? It's a 2 wheel drive, 4.3L 5 speed, and this seems much easier to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sunday, September 18th, 2011 AT 10:08 PM

• promechanic
  • 551 posts

The factory service manual says to remove the engine from the vehicle. I would not remove the transmission.

Sunday, September 18th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM
  • Mohawkbear

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your help! Seems a ridiculous amount of work for an oil pump. Wonder what those engineers were thinking.

Monday, September 19th, 2011 AT 12:07 AM
  • promechanic
  • 551 posts

You need to take all the spark plugs out they install the compression tester, then turn the engine over a few times. This will give you an accurate reading.

Monday, September 19th, 2011 AT 2:29 AM
  • Mohawkbear

Alright, thanks!

Monday, September 19th, 2011 AT 10:44 AM