TRANSMISSION SUDDENLY STARTED SLIPPING ONLY SOMETIMES AN ONLY WHEN HOT. COULD IT BE A SENSOR?

• Doug_IRE
  • 1998 Chevrolet Malibu

I bought a 98 malibu which ran great, new battery, new front strut assemblies and a 2.4 engine with automatic tranny. IN JAN 2012
I knew it needed a brake line and drove it home 16 miles on the e brake without a problem.
long story short I registered the car and decided that all the brake lines and fuel lines were to be replaced. The rear spring was broken so grabbed a pair from a near by bone yard.
Since the 10 day NYS temp sticker was expired (by 5 months) we used a flatbed to get the car to the inspection station this morning. Picked it up and went to a local store about 6 miles, low oil pressure light came on idling in the parking lot, when the gas pedal was pressed it went off. Then got it back home ( 1 mile)and when we went to swap out cars in the driveway lost forward gears ( reverse works fine but all forward gears feel like they slip but move the car). Could it be sensor issues from disconnecting and removing the battery? Have to drive it 75 miles for the computer to be ready and pass the emission part of the inspection.
I bought this car for my wife originally, but having second thoughts. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated. I have worked on alot of older cars when I owned my shop from 1995 - 2002 kinda stumped with this one.

Doug

Went out this morning started it up reverse worked forward worked. When it got up to temp forward would hesitate then engage after a second and go. I'm still thinking sensor

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

• saturntech9

As far as the oil pressure light your going to have to remove the sensor and do a oil pressure reading to see if its a bad sender or oil pressure issue. Now the transmission there sbouldnt be any learning for the car to move in the forward gears. Do you have any codes in computer?If so what are the exact code nunbers not code descriptions.

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 6:23 PM
  • Doug_IRE

There never was a code or CEL. I need to drive it to get an inspection sticker, an have 9 days left

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 6:33 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like a internal issue or pressure issue I would still check for codes if there arent any then most likely its a pressure issue or a internal issue. Hows the transmission fluid?Driving it could damage the transmission further have you checked to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Also had the battery and alternator tested?A bad battery or alternator can greatly effect the computer controls on that car.

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 8:05 PM
  • Doug_IRE

Will be checking the fluid but the wizards that designed it didn't put a dipstick on it

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 8:15 PM
  • saturntech9

There is a 11mm bolt that is a level hole to tell when its full.I was refering to debris in the transmission pan etc and color of fluid. The first thing I would do is check for codes then dona pressure test on the transmission then check the trans pan for debris etc.

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 9:44 PM
  • Doug_IRE

The car has been sitting for a while, and seemed fine after replacing the brake lines.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 12:26 PM
  • Doug_IRE

Iv'e seen the bolt to check the level mentioned quite often but no one tells exactly where it is

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 12:28 PM
  • saturntech9

That plug is over where the passenger axle comes out of the transmission towards the front of the car.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 2:14 PM
  • saturntech9

I have no idea what fixing a brake line has to do with transmission that makes no sense.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 2:15 PM
  • Doug_IRE

Sorry I had to "remove the battery" to replace the brake lines. Would that have any impact on the sensors for the transmission

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 5:35 PM