HELP!

1998 Chevrolet Malibu

dorene

January, 13, 2012 AT 2:04 AM

How can I know if the engine computer is faulty? Or the throttle body? Car keeps powering down with no warning at idle and at 55mph. I changed coil packs, ignition module, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, crank position sensor, map sensor, temp control sensor. Nothing seemed to fix the problem. The fuel pressure is at 63 for pressure I had it checked. The car runs great but after driving for an hour it shuts down with no warning. It starts back up in about 20 min later and drives fine again. Can you help me please. Can it be the throttle body or possible a faulty computer not sending the signal?

saturntech9

January, 13, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

Do you have any codes in the computer?When it wont start for 20 mins what dont you have spark fuel pressure or injector pluse?

dorene

January, 13, 2012 AT 3:48 AM

The computer codes read the sensors thats why I replaced them but it wasnt those. I have spark and fuel pressure but I can spray starter fluid in it and it starts right up but kinda bogs out like if it was flooded. But once I keep it running the car runs like a champ.

saturntech9

January, 13, 2012 AT 5:38 AM

So what are the exact code numbers you have now?

dorene

Crank sensor but I replaced it

saturntech9

What is the exact code number not code description?

dorene

January, 14, 2012 AT 12:28 AM

There are no codes any more. The check engine light is not on.

saturntech9

When it doesnt start is the security light on solid or flashing?Also when it doesnt start what is the actual fuel pressure?When it doesnt start you need to check for injector pluse with a noid light.

dorene

Today I put the new computer in and now it wont stay running at all. Thanks for your help but I called the junkman.

saturntech9

January, 15, 2012 AT 2:59 AM

Your welcome sorry to hear that sorry to hear that.