I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY VALVE LIFTER

1998 Chevrolet Camaro

sean03

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:23 PM

Hi I am having problems with my valve lifter. I have a 1998 Chevy Camaro 5.7L V8 LS1 motor. It was confirmed by me and the garage that it was the lifter. So I am going to take a gamble with seafoam. The motor is getting replaced in July anyways. My question with this seafoam is how do I use it. Can I pour half in the crankcase and the other half down the brake booster line so it sucks it through the motor. Thanks.

Lifters

Lifters

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:26 PM

What is the issue with the lifter? Does the cylinder still fire?

I do not use sea fom or reccomend using any of these treatments as they rarely. Work.

Are you sure it is not the cam lobe?

sean03

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:32 PM

Yeap positive. The garage pulled it apart and also listened to it the did a cold start a warm start and a temperature run you can hear it knocking when you hit the gas pedal. He pulled the valve cover off looked at the rockers the springs the pushrods they did all other sorts of tests to make sure it was that. They didn't believe me at first until they got it and listened to it and worked on it. The guy has done many LS1 motors so I trust him very well. He told me I could take a gamble with seafoam that sometimes it works but I forgot to ask him how to add it. Thanks.

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:34 PM

I dont know Sean. Why dont you just replace it now?

sean03

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:39 PM

I am short of money until July and the guy said as long as I baby it until then it would be fine. To replace one lifter is 1700 dollars to do all is 2400 to replace the motor with a used is 3500 for a new one is 5100 with a 3 year warranty which I am close to having that much so I am just saving up for the new motor.

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:40 PM

1700 for 1 lifter? That sounds very high. I would shop around. I know you have had issues with shops in the past but that is really high

sean03

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:48 PM

Yeah I did shop around everyone else wanted 1500 to change 1 and 2700 to change all. I called dealers and other non dealers and they said it was so much because you have to take the heads off to get to the lifters and also these prices did not include if the heads had to be cleaned and resurfaced. That's why I agreed to save up for the new motor because this car could be a money pit. The only good thing was the guy said the valve covers and motor looked clean when he pulled it off almost like new with 169000 miles on it. But that does not mean the heads look the same and he agreed.

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:52 PM

Very interesting, I lookied at the procedure.

sean03

March, 31, 2013 AT 5:57 PM

Yeah it is a lot of work because you have to take the intake off the exhaust manifold has to be unbolted you have to take the stuff off the valve covers. You have to unbolt the valve covers you have to take the rocker arms off you have to take the pushrods out you have to unbolt the heads you have to take the spark plugs out then once you get the heads off it is somewhere in their that is why it is best to get a new motor. I was going to try to do it but it is too much work.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars