A/C SEALS

• sean03
  • 1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Hi I am wanting to do my a/c seals since it is almost winter time. I bought the metal rings and the green rings. The car is only keeping a charge less than 2 weeks. I seen a/c pro makes a super sealer. I know it is a gamble with this but will it work. I know it could clogg the lines or the filter. If I change these seals out do I need to use a torque wrench to torque them down. If not how tight do these need to be. Thanks.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM

• saturntech9

I would never use a sealer they can ruin the compressor evap core etc. As far the lines go there really isnt a torque spec. You just use common sense to tighten then up. Do you know where the leak is at?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:24 PM
  • sean03

Once I get it tight then I should give it a quarter turn. I can not find the leak. I imagine it is the seals because there is black oil stain on the lines where the seals are and also black on the accumulator. My neighbor has the firebird and he had the same problem and he changed the seals and he has never had a problem sense. Thanks.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:33 PM
  • saturntech9

Have you tried adding some ac dye and then look for the leak with a dye light?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:38 PM
  • sean03

Yeah I tried it. That crap was junk. I even bought red dye even after I did the kit I bought from napa.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:44 PM
  • saturntech9

Some of the lights they have in the kits are junk. Was it just a small little flash light one that takes AA batteries?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 10:51 PM
  • sean03

It takes AA batteries and it is a big light

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM
  • saturntech9

I have the little pocket light and its useless.

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 AT 12:08 AM
  • sean03

Yeah so I am most likely going to change the seals anyways. They have never been changed and if I need help I can ask y'all or my neighbor. Thanks for all your help.

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • saturntech9

Look for the oil and dirt collecting etc for possible leak sites. You know were always here and will leave the light on lol. You have been fixing everyones car lately from what I have seen from all your questions.

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 AT 12:41 AM
  • sean03

Yeah one thing breaks after another. I am tired of having 35 dollars for an 18oz refrigerant can every month.

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 AT 12:43 AM