BRAKE PADS

• keno1950
  • 1998 Chevrolet Camaro
  • automatic

What is the best type of brake pads

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 2:48 AM

• caradiodoc

The cheapest will usually squeal the least. The most expensive will come with hardware or a better warranty but higher quality linings are often harder and might tend to squeal.

Keep in mind that the manufacturers spend a ton of time developing a brake system that is balanced front-to-rear for even stopping. One of the variables is the coefficient of friction between the linings and rotors and drums. Brake lining manufacturers go to great lengths to not change that variable. What you can expect is to still have even braking regardless of what the new linings cost.

Some sales points include a lower tendency to make black brake dust on the wheels, lower tendency to squeal, and things like that.

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:02 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Depends on the performance that your expecting from the pads, check this link, it lists the differences in pads and what to look for in a pad:

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:04 AM
  • keno1950

What I am really interested in changing the frount pads on my motorcycle (kawasaki 750 vulcan). I know that I am inposing on you and I am sorry but I can't seem to any information from biker guys so I thought you might be able to help. Any information you have would be most helpful.

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:08 AM
  • caradiodoc

Ahh, now we get the rest of the information. Obviously front-to-rear balance isn't an issue. I have a Kawasaki KZ900 and installed a set of the cheapest pads I could find from J.C. Whitney. They worked fine. Any pads will be able to lock up the wheel. You can't do any better than that.

What is your goal in finding a different type of lining?

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:14 AM
  • keno1950

Yoou guys are the greatest! Thank ypu so much for the advise and putting up with me.

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
  • caradiodoc

Hey, if you feel like thinking we're geniuses, who are we to argue? :)

Hope we helped.

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 3:46 AM