WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY CAR HAS BEEN IN A FLOOD

1998 Chevrolet Blazer

geronemo

October, 12, 2011 AT 1:12 AM

Hello. I have a question regarding how well a vehicle may operate after it has been through a flood. Specifically, these were 2 very low flood prone city streets that were not barricaded during a torrential rainfall. Anyway, I have a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer

Wiring Issue?

Jacobandnickolas

October, 12, 2011 AT 1:18 AM

It really matters how much water it was in. How high did it get?

October, 12, 2011 AT 1:20 AM

To put it bluntly, it will be an electrical nightmare for the rest of its life. Corrosion will take over shortly after it is put into service and will haunt you with all kinds of issues.

My opinion is get rid of the car asap and move on.

geronemo

October, 12, 2011 AT 2:18 AM

Thanks for responding Jacob and Nicholas. The 2 separate areas were city viaducts, and it was at night, so I could not see the water, however the water covered my windshield, soaked the air filter, and I'm guessing the water was around 2.5-3ft deep. The transmission business that I took it to said to junk the vehicle. But, naturally I still owe money on the vehicle.

October, 12, 2011 AT 2:22 AM

If you have insurance, now is the time to put in a claim.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 12, 2011 AT 2:26 AM

What ASE said is usually the case. There always seems to be electrical issues after a vehicle has been in a flood. If the water was that high, I'm surprised it is running if it got to the air filter. You should check the differentials, transmission, transfer case, make sure there is no evidence of water mixing with the engine oil. If everything is serviced and working properly, the only main concern is the electrical system. What happens, like ASE said, electrical components seem to corrode, short, or just stop working. It may not happen all at once, but it always seems to happen.

I wish I had better news for you, but that has been my experience. If you have other questions, let me know.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper