1998 Cadillac Deville Instrument Cluster

MURPH88
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Recently had a new engine put in and the Car runs great. About three weeks later, I lost the center portion of the instrument cluster; only the fuel range on the left and the climate control on the right display. No gear selection, MPH, or any other info in the center such as tachometer, battery, or Oil life. Fuses are good. Found one from the junk yard and plugged it in. Worked great for about 5 minutes and then once again I had the same symptoms as the original instrument cluster. Is there something else in the system or upstream in the circuit of the car effecting the Instrument Cluster and causing it to fail?
Thank you All
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 AT 4:03 PM

CADIEMAN
PUSH OFF AND WARMER BUTTONS ON THE A/C PANEL FOR 5 SECONDS. THEN WRITE ALL THE PCM AND BCM CODES DOWN. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM IS IN THE SPEEDO HEAD THE WAY YOU EXPLAINED IT.
+1
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 AT 8:10 PM
MURPH88
Hello and thank you for the response,
As you can see in the image, reading codes is not possible because it comes over the information line which is dark. I have plugged into the OBd2 port and there are not any DTC's present. Just to be clear I have tested the car with a 2nd cluster that worked only for only a few minutes and the same portions, speedo, info line, shift, went dark as did the original cluster in the car. Is there another component connected to the Cluster that would cause the "speedo head" on two different instrument clusters to go dark?
Thanks again,
M
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 AT 8:55 PM
MURPH88
Hmm Email said there was a reply? Did you see my 2nd message/
Thank you again!
M
Thursday, September 4th, 2014 AT 12:06 PM
CADIEMAN
YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE BODY CONTROL MODULE THEN. IT'S UNDER THE R/SIDE LOWER DASH PANEL AT THE FIREWALL BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX.
Saturday, September 6th, 2014 AT 6:45 PM
MURPH88
Oh Joy
Thanks you i'll let you know what happens
M
Sunday, September 7th, 2014 AT 12:51 PM
CADIEMAN
U REALLY NEED TO GO THE PARTS STORE AND HAVE THEM PUT A SCANNER ON YOUR CAR. THEY CHECK FOR FAULT CODES. THIS MIGHT HELP YOU ALSO.
Sunday, September 7th, 2014 AT 3:26 PM
CADIEMAN
TAKE IT TO THE PARTS STORE AND HAVE THEM CHECK THE CODES. IF THEIR ARE NO CODES U WILL NEED TO HAVE THE SPEEDO HEAD REPAIRED.
Sunday, September 7th, 2014 AT 3:45 PM
MURPH88
Thank you again,
I have the 1998 Service Manual and it shows the Body Control Module behind the back seat? Is there more than one? I know on my old 1985 Deville it was up by the Glove box.
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 10:00 AM
MURPH88
Thank you again,
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 10:04 AM
CADIEMAN
Sorry your right
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 7:50 PM
CADIEMAN
U NEED TO CK. THE CODES FIRST
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 7:54 PM
CADIEMAN
U NEED TO HAVE THE CODES CHECKED FIRST.
Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 AT 8:04 PM
MURPH88
There were 2 codes PO463 and PO603.
PCM Keep Alive Memory Error and a Fuel Circuit High Input. They were both clearable and I will check tomorrow to see if they re occur. Are these concerning?
Thank you,
M
Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 AT 11:02 PM
CADIEMAN
In the relay panel did you check those fuses also. It's a red 10 amp fuse marked ILLUM. If the fuse has voltage going through the fuse. Then you will have to try and find another head to try.
Thursday, September 11th, 2014 AT 7:22 PM
MURPH88
I did not see one marked ILLUM. I've attached the trunk and hood panel markers. There is one called CONSOLE? Might the ILLUM 10amp have another name?
Thanks,
M
Saturday, September 13th, 2014 AT 9:23 AM
CADIEMAN
IF YOU HAVE POWER TO THE CLUSTER FUSE WITH THE KEY ON. YOU WILL NEED TO SEND THE SPEEDO HEAD OUT TO BE REPAIRED
Monday, September 15th, 2014 AT 6:42 AM
MURPH88
Thank you,
Will check tomorrow,
M
Thursday, September 18th, 2014 AT 9:07 PM
CADIEMAN
Have U TESTED THE FUSE YET?
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 AT 8:53 PM