CAR STARTS THEN DIES IMMEDIATELY

1998 Buick Regal

ricer1986

November, 12, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

This car is really gettin on my nerves. I have about 48psi at fuel rail. The security light isn't flashing so its not the passkey system. All of the ignition componants have been tested or replaced. This is something very odd because when the alternator field wire is removed the car will start but only run intil the battery is dead and there is no power. If the wire is connected the car just starts then dies.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

November, 12, 2011 AT 3:30 AM

Are you able to keep it running if you keep your foot on the gas?

ricer1986

November, 12, 2011 AT 3:48 AM

If the alternator field wire plug is disconnected the car starts and runs normally. But if it is it doesn't matter if the pedal is to the floor. I know that htere is a fusable link between the starter solenoid and the alternator and I was thinking that is may be possible that it is blown because the car shuts itself off as if the alternator is overcharging. And also I have concluded that the ignition switch must be ok since the car will run without having to provide current to/ recieve current from the alternator.

ricer1986

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:15 PM

If I floor it it will stay running. I have to keep it at like 4000rpm

ricer1986

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:27 PM

If I pretty much floor it and keep it at 4000rpm then yes it will stay running. Diregard the last comment as it must have been just quiencedence that that worked.I think it is a fuel problem.

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:35 PM

Why don't you clean out and test the idle air control valve and EGR valve and recheck the fuel pressure with out the fuel pressure regulator by disconnecting the vacuum hose on it and plug it. Your fuel pressure is at the lowest end of the specs which is 48-55psi

ricer1986

November, 13, 2011 AT 7:39 PM

I cleaned out the iac valve but I don't know where the egr is.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 13, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

The EGR is mounted on the intake.