AT TIMES WHEN STARTING, SOUNDS LIKE A PULLEY/BELT NOISE

1998 Buick Park Avenue

jcb55

April, 29, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

When in gear or not, when rpm reaches 1500-1800 noise stops. May return while driving.

the engine has great pick up. Runs good otherwise. Trans seems to run strong and shifts good with no noise that I am aware of. May be starting to burn/pass oil in number 6 cyl. It has just had a water pump /head gasket change, but was making this noise before then. A/C works great and noise does not change when A/C is operated. All temps and pressures are good. Removed belt and all pulleys seem tight with no wobble. Hand pressure only, not engine running.

if car sits for a while and started, there is no noise until engine gets up to operating temp, or at least that what it seems. Once car has been run, noise will continue until shut off. Again when engine is started and reached to 1500-1800 rpm, the noise goes away, but then returns later while driving. Thanks for any help.

April, 29, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

I would look at the belt. Spray some water on it and see if it goes away. If it does, replace the belt. If not then there is a pulley failing somewhere.

jcb55

April, 29, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

Just tried the water test and nothing changed. What really is odd is how when I slowly raise the rpm's and get to that 1500-1800 rpm, the noise stops. This is not a chirping noise, but more like a bearing which makes me think a pulley issue.

April, 29, 2012 AT 8:12 PM

Remove the belt and spin each one by itself

djcl

May, 10, 2012 AT 9:32 AM

Remove the belt and see if there is play in the water pump. Thay are known to go bad on this car. Let me know how it works out

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement