A.C. CONDENSER

• Mpetruescu
  • 1998 BMW 323
  • manual

Im replace my condenser for my car, the old one has a hole in it. I was wondering when I put the vacuum pump how much vacuum should I have(also with the engine off?). Is there something I need to be aware of or something else that I need to do.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 10:45 PM

• hmac300

You really should have a pro do this, but if your condensor has a hole in it then you should also replace the reciever/drier, pump it down to 29" for 15 minutes, do a freon sweep then pump it down again for another 15 minutes. Don't forget to add the correct oil to replace the stuff that is gone from the old condensor.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 11:12 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Just so you understand what it is that you are doing when you are running a vacuum on it. Water will boil at a lower temp when atmospheric pressure is lowered. Water will boil at room temp when held at 29" of vacuum so it will boil all the moisture out of the system.

Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 11:25 PM
  • Mpetruescu

Yea i've been looking over it, your right ill just replace the condenser and drier and have the pros fill her up.

Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 12:41 AM