Bought a used Volvo

KEVINMANIRE
  • 1997 VOLVO 850

Bought a used volvo. Seems to run good but took it to emissions and found a "not ready" status. Had a garage check codes and reset OBD. There was a code for trans pos switch. That one has cleared. Been doing "drive cycles" as suggested to complete OBD. The check engine light came on again and the ABS light has been on since I got it 2 weeks ago. Had brakes and suspension checked out, they're good. Today a diagnostics check turned up code p0172 (System too rich Bank 1) I guess I just need help gettin this ride ready for emmissions. Anything you can do to help?

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 10:48 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Check codes and re set? Wrong thig to do.

The codes must be properly diaged, repaired and then the codes can be cleared and a proper drive cycle done for the monitors. Clearing codes does nothing as the problem is still there and will not go away till it is repaired

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 10:50 PM
KEVINMANIRE

Ok Roy, thx. I live in Mesa AZ, got any shop or mechanic referals?

Thursday, April 11th, 2013 AT 2:29 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Sorry, live in pa.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, April 11th, 2013 AT 3:15 PM
THEBIMMERPHILE

Just joined today. Even though it's late for you, someone else may find this helpful. P0172 DTC is most often a vacuum leak issue. I had the same error. You need to check all your vacuum lines and elbows for breaks. The biggest PITA is the elbow on the intake manifold. Left side of engine below power steering. Good luck. Rubber tubing is cheap. Patience.

Thursday, October 10th, 2013 AT 10:28 AM