ISSUES...

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

cdw

August, 22, 2011 AT 2:41 PM

I have a '97 Jetta GLX. There is a black box directly in front of the coolant reservoir containing 2 fuses (20 & 5). The reservoir overflowed and the box started smoking. I tried to replace the fuses, but the smoking continued. I drove it about 5 miles this morning, and it did not smoke. The mechanic replaced the fuses (after an incorrect diagnosis of it being an a/c coolant issue) and on the way home it started smoking again. What is that box? What are the consequences of not replacing those fuses? What are the chances of fire if I do not replace the fuses?

promechanic

September, 9, 2011 AT 4:10 AM

This is just a fuse box. You need to get the water out of it. It will eventually dry up on its own, but if you can park it in the sun or have your mechanic dry it out by blowing compressed air in it that would work. After it dries out you should be fine, but since it has gotten hot you might need to replace some of the connections in the box itself.

exovcds

February, 19, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

I know this is an old post, but for others reading this...

That black box is the Cooling Fan Control Module:

http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/large/bd0ed6b02d1113d9d1cc44a8fed71a0d.jpg

If the internal parts fail, it will affect the radiator fan operation!

Coolant Reservoir Leaking? Replace is Easily
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer