WHY IS THE CAR LOSING SPARK?

1997 Volkswagen Golf

quentus

June, 14, 2012 AT 8:08 AM

Hi, I have a golf 1 1997 model, the car died and wasn't giving spark. We replaced the module, coil and complete distributor with spark plug wires. There is spark now but not enough to start the car. From the coil to the distributor there is a strong spark but it's losing spark to the plugs, what could the problem be as the car still won't start? The timing was set correctly, it is getting fuel and compression is good. Please advise. Thanx Quentus

mhpautos

June, 14, 2012 AT 8:25 AM

You will have to investigate the rotor cap and leads, check that the carbon bush is intact and the rotor is correct, look for arching at the cap this can be a problem with rotor air gap.

quentus

June, 14, 2012 AT 8:42 AM

Hi, we have replaced the complete distributor, rotor and cap with cables all is new. What is the carbon brush is it the copper piece on the rotor? And what am I looking for in connection with the arching in the cap?

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 3:54 AM

I ran into this problem when replacing a cap and rotor with aftermarket stuff. If you did that get a genuine vw cap and rotor, the problem is between the cap and rotor.

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500