Radiator fan isn't working the way it's supposed.

GEORGEOMAR
  • 1997 TOYOTA RAV4

Radiator fan isn't working the way it's supposed to. I dismantled the compressor, the condenser, and the a\c lines. I replaced the alternator belt with a new shorter belt, and car starts and runs. I saved the electrical connector of the R-134 bottle because: When this connector is unplugged from the circuit, the radiator fan, and the condenser fan turn on and stay on when engine is started. But when this R-134 connector is unplugged from the circuit, the fan(s) never turn on. My next step: I took out the fan #3 relay ( this relay is definitely required if the a\c system is to be functioning), and nothing changed. I have a hunch that a jumper wire somewhere at the relay box may be all that's needed to remedy the problem. Thanks for your help. If it makes it easier for you to give me instructions, I have access to Alldata. Com for the rav4.

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 6:01 AM

ASEMASTER6371

The fan control for cooling system is controlled by the sensor in the bottom of the radiator.

Removing the ac components will not effect the operation of the cooling fan

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 11:41 AM
GEORGEOMAR

You must be saying the ECT switch or sensor? That crossed my mind. But the R134 bottle electrical plug would still have to be connected to rest of circuit ( even if seperated from the bottle (which is my situation)) to keep the fans from being on continually. Are you saying to keep that in the circuit, but replacing the ECT switch would turn fans when temperature reaches 93 Celsius?

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 12:48 PM
ASEMASTER6371

The switch would operate the fans when temp is needed.

Why dont you just remove the switches from the ac lines and plug them in and tie them off

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 1:55 PM
KHLOW2008

You need to use a jumper across the A/C pressure switch terminals for the system to work correctly.

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 2:46 PM
GEORGEOMAR

Could I access the A/C pressure switch from the big ekectrical plug that used to connect to the compressor?

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 4:29 PM
GEORGEOMAR

To KHLow2008
I'm not near my car now, but I think I know where the A/C pressure switch is: It's, if I'm not mistaken, accessible from the electrical connector that connects to the R-134 bottle. I'll verify when I get home

Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 AT 5:06 PM
GEORGEOMAR

Good morning,
I put a jumper wire across 2 terminals in place of the R134 bottle, this would bypass the A/C pressure switch if I read the schematic correctly: the bypass stops the fans from being turned on continually. But the fans never turn on as well. Does that mean the ECT sensor went bad. ECT sensor is supposed to make fan turn on when temperature reaches 93celcius?

Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 2:49 PM
KHLOW2008

Not the ECT. It is the A/C water temperature switch, item # 12 in diagram.

The fan comes on only when the coolant in radiator is hot ehough to turn it on. When starting from cold, it might take between 20 to 45 minutes before the fan starts working, depending on weather?

Is the engine overheating while the fans are not working?

Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 3:59 PM
GEORGEOMAR

My mistake. But that's the part I was referring to. It's located at the bottom of radiator, next to the lower radiator hose. Is this part still working? Can it be tested? The reason I thought, either the a/c water temperature switch went bad or the circuit requires another bypass, was because the fan used to turn on when the RPM was raised at idle ( before dismantling a/c components).

Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 4:46 PM
GEORGEOMAR

The engine is not overheating. ( I forgot to answer you Q. In my previous post).

Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 4:52 PM
KHLOW2008

Unplugging the fan switch should turn the fan on.

Raising the rpm does not make the fans turn on. Only when temperature of the coolant at bottom of radiator is sufficient to turn the switch off to break the circuit does the the fan starts to work.

If you don't have overheating issues, I don't think there is a problem with th fan circuit. Let the engine run for a longer period of time and if the temperature does not increase to more than 1/2 on gauge, the fan should come on after some time.

Friday, March 29th, 2013 AT 1:39 PM
GEORGEOMAR

Thank you KHLow2008
The fans are switching on! I put in a new A/C water temperature sensor at the lower part of the radiator. I drove the car, then let it idle, and finally the fans turned on for short periods of time. When I tried the same procedure with the old sensor, the fans would always be off. My conclusion is the the old sensor was a "lazy sensor".

Thank you for your advice.

Saturday, March 30th, 2013 AT 6:06 AM
KHLOW2008

You'rer welcome.

Glad to know the problem has been fixed.

Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 AT 6:27 AM
KENNAD

Thanks guys this fixed my problem temporarily until I can install a new switch also. Trying to get 500,000 miles before I trade it in.

Sunday, March 29th, 2015 AT 3:11 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

Friday, April 10th, 2015 AT 8:12 AM