ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO I NOTICED MY CAR STARTING TO...

1997 Toyota Paseo

lavosslayer

October, 24, 2012 AT 4:53 AM

About two weeks ago I noticed my car starting to make a grinding sound like dragging a rake on the cement. I took the car in to get looked at ASAP and got the brakes changed out because they were getting close to needing to be replaced anyway and the mechanics said it was most likely the culprit.

However, this apparently wasn't what was causing the noise and most likely rules out the rock in the brakes problem I've read about as well. It seems to be coming from the front half of the vehicle (driver's seat forward). The sound occurs only at speeds from 1-45 MPH and does occur sometimes while idling. Usually it only begins after its been driven for a little bit and warmed up. It can happen going forward or in reverse and it is very intermittent sometimes going away completely for an entire trip.

My personal belief is that it's the heat shield on the drive shaft, but I haven't been lucky enough to be able to get out and pinpoint the exact location of the sound while its occurring yet. I would be most appreciative if someone could give me an idea of what I'm dealing with here.

mhpautos

October, 24, 2012 AT 10:10 AM

Can or do you ever hear the noise stationary with engine running in gear or in neutral?

lavosslayer

October, 24, 2012 AT 3:29 PM

Yes when I'm in drive but sitting still I do hear it occasionally, not really ever in neutral much, so I don't know about that.

mhpautos

October, 24, 2012 AT 7:41 PM

If you can hear this noise stationary, it will be in the engine or transmission, it sounds like a bearing noise, I would get the transmission looked at in respect to the oil condition to see if there are any signs of metal contamination.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement