HOW CAN I TELL IF THE WATE PUMP IS BAD OR THE ...

1997 Toyota Corolla

Cregar

December, 20, 2012 AT 10:14 PM

How can I tell if the wate pump is bad or the belt tensioner for the timing belt is bad. Sounds like the bottom end of the motor is coming apart. The sound is like a clogged Catalic converter marbles rolling around thanks. Craig

freemba

December, 20, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Check the engine oil first. Often these noises can be caused by bad engine bearings (crankshaft bearings).

If the water pump is causing this noise you should be able to grasp its pulley and shake if from left to right and up and down. If you can, replace it.
Timing belt tensioner is a little more difficult. You'll have to see it in operation and to do this you'll need to remove the front timing belt cover. So check the engine oil and water pump and then we'll tackle the timing belt tensioner. (Just for the record they rarely make that much noise)

December, 20, 2012 AT 11:31 PM

As stated, do those checks first. I believe you have a lower engine issue from your description.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500