HOW CAN I TELL IF THE WATE PUMP IS BAD OR THE ...

• Cregar
  • 1997 Toyota Corolla

How can I tell if the wate pump is bad or the belt tensioner for the timing belt is bad. Sounds like the bottom end of the motor is coming apart. The sound is like a clogged Catalic converter marbles rolling around thanks. Craig

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 10:14 PM

• freemba

Check the engine oil first. Often these noises can be caused by bad engine bearings (crankshaft bearings).

If the water pump is causing this noise you should be able to grasp its pulley and shake if from left to right and up and down. If you can, replace it.
Timing belt tensioner is a little more difficult. You'll have to see it in operation and to do this you'll need to remove the front timing belt cover. So check the engine oil and water pump and then we'll tackle the timing belt tensioner. (Just for the record they rarely make that much noise)

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 10:26 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

As stated, do those checks first. I believe you have a lower engine issue from your description.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 11:31 PM