2.2L 4CYLINDER 1 SURGES UNDER LOW LOAD AND AT 35-40 MPH ?

1997 Toyota Camry

shermanjw

When the car is driven, it surges (tach needle fluctuates and surge is felt). I read the response for the 6cylinder version of this problem (in this forum), but I am unsure as to which part to replace. The check engine light is on and I suspect that the EGR valve, the EGR modulator or EGR VSV could be the culprit. There is no EGR position sensor on the 4 cyl emissions' system (5S-FE), so the cheap easy fix is not an option ; )

I have PDF files that are the Toyota training and repair manual content, so I am lucky to be able to get some component explanation and t'shooting info.
I am going to try to get a local parts store to check out the OBD codes to help with the next step(s).

I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

John

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

DrCranknWrench

You have the first step on the money. If you have trouble getting them to do it, any Advance Auto or Auto Zone will do it for free.
You might also want to test the fuel pressure if nothing comes back that is significant or if it is a fuel related code. The same stores have test kits with adapters for the test port on the fuel rail.

I am giving you a link to a diagnostic walkthrough. It is a very good tool and covers the most likely problem and covers each in depth.

Here is the length;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-surges