LAST NIGHT MY DAUGHTERS WAS DRIVING DOWN OUR ...

1997 Toyota Avalon

Chaz1962

December, 27, 2012 AT 2:28 PM

Last night my daughter's was driving down our street on the way homw and she said her car "stopped going" - it was running and she could rev the engine but there was no transmission action at all. She tried going up the neighbors drive way to back up and turn around but couldn't so I had to push her back and then in front of the house - any ideas? It seems odd it would lose all function suddenly while driving. Is there a vacuum hose or an electronic part that you've ever heard of to cause this?

Thanks,
Charles Levin

December, 27, 2012 AT 2:36 PM

Check the transmission fluid level and condition.
If any electrical control fault is present, the engine computer would usually trigger a code and the Malfunction Indicator Light would show and/or the O/D indicator Light would flash.
Check for trouble codes.

Chaz1962

December, 27, 2012 AT 3:35 PM

So you don't think it sounds like a major transmission failure, rebuild, replacement situation?

December, 27, 2012 AT 3:43 PM

It is possible but we should always try with the basics. Quite often it is a control problem but if the fluild leel is low, that can result in transmission failing due to overheating and lack of fluid to provide necessary pressure.

Get a scan to check for trouble codes first.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars