COOLING FANS NOT TURNING EASY TO TURN BY HAND ...

1997 Toyota Avalon

maddiestwinkle

October, 23, 2012 AT 4:30 PM

Cooling fans not turning, easy to turn by hand, just started within the hour, was smoking when I got home from work, could it be the fuse? If so, where do I locate the fuse box?

All Fuse Box Locations

1 IMAGE

Where Is Fuse Box

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

hmac300

October, 23, 2012 AT 4:42 PM

Check yoruunderhood fuse box for the fuse and relay. They may have something caught in them or they are worn out causing them to smoke.

maddiestwinkle

October, 23, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

Ok, there are two fuse boxes under the hood, how do I know which fuse to check? It doesn't say "fan fuse". Some said heater, dash, etc. How do I know which one?

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

It is the one labelled RDI fuse.
Turn A/C on and test if both fans comes on.

maddiestwinkle

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

No fans came on with ac

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

I have the cooling fan circuit here but you would need at least a testlight or DVOM to perform testings.

Test the fan motor first. One could have failed earlier and not noticed and now that both are not working, the temperature reading would go up.

maddiestwinkle

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

The temp. Gauge didn't go up, there were no lights going off on the dash, how do I tell if the fuse is burnt out?

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:52 PM

A DVOM would allow you to test the voltage at the output, i.E. The fan relay 1. If you have battery voltage, the fuse is good. Alternatively you can unplug the fuse and test for continuity.

Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Battery Replacement