OVER HEATING SIGNS I.E. ANTI FREEZE LEAKING

1997 Saturn SL2

mizzzgreeneyes

April, 12, 2012 AT 9:08 PM

I have a 1997 saturn sl2. The temp gauge has never gone above 1/4. But has started over heating signs i. E. Anti freeze leaking from what looks like reserve. What could cause this? What could cause this?

April, 12, 2012 AT 9:13 PM

Have the thermostat, coolant temperature sensor and fan relay checked and tested

djcl

April, 12, 2012 AT 11:06 PM

Where is coolant leaking from?

mizzzgreeneyes

April, 12, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Well normally I would consider it the reservoir. But I don't see a normal radiator cap like most. Just the tank and its coming from the cap but the car never read even half way. That's what confuses me and I don't want to blow the head gasket

djcl

April, 12, 2012 AT 11:34 PM

From a cold start how long for it to start leaking

mizzzgreeneyes

April, 12, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

If I drive it stays cool if I sit at stop light or development through it heats up. I usually don't give it time to I run the heater. But its warming up and its gonna be time for AC soon. I'm going to try running AC and see if fa at alln kicks on

djcl

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:03 AM

When it starts to run hot open the hood and see if the cooling fan is running. The pcm controls the fan based on coolant temp. Turning on the a/c will make the pcm ground to the fan relay. Also when engine tenp is @ 223f/106c. The pcm will turn the fan relay off if the car is doing 70 mph for more than three min.

saturntech9

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

Just to add to this one those cars are known for bad coolant temp sensors. When they go bad they usually always read colder then actually temp and they only use one sensor for the gauge and for the computer to turn the fan on fuel etc. They also leak coolant into the connector causing them to corrod the connector. You said it never got above a 1/4 temp on the gauge and it was leaking coolant out the radiator cap. That could be a bad sensor or bad cap or both. Also you said the temp never gets above a 1/4 on the gauge thats a bad thermostat or coolant temp sensor. With a 122,000 miles on the car I would replace the thermostat also replace the coolant temp sensor. Inspect the inside of the connector going to the coolant temp sensor if the terminals are green or blue instead of silver then replace the connector also. Throw a radiator cap on it also there cheap. Also does your radiator fan work with the a/c on if the a/c works?

saturntech9

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:18 AM

Without a infared temp gun you wont be able to see if the fan comes on at 222 degrees usually on that car. Also the coolant temp sensors are only like 10-11 dollars on that car.I have replaced 4 of those sensors in my 1999 saturn SL2 in the six years of owning it. So get the lifetime warranty sensor like I did.

mizzzgreeneyes

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Ill check bout the AC thing but I've never heard the fan com on bought car like 2 months ago.

saturntech9

April, 13, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

Thats crazy about the fan never coming on even if it wasnt coming on the temp gauge would read alot higher on the temp gauge before boiling over the cap. Unless the cap was bad or the coolant temp sensor wasnt reading the correct temp. Turn on the a/c and see if the center of the ac compressor pulley is spining if it is the radiator fan should be on also.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement