I am getting not power after changing to a new battery

HOGGY1987
  • 1997 RENAULT MEGANE

I have bought a Renault Megane e sport 1.6 it had been sitting for 6 months when I got it but car was charged and drove home no problem - then had to keep jump starting it so bought a brand new battery, fitted it and no power was getting through at all. Put the old battery back in and power was getting through but would not start - checked the new battery was working and got another brand new one - fitted this again and no power at all?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 3:15 PM

FIXITMR

Gotta be your connections.

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 3:32 PM
HOGGY1987

Would it still be the connections when the car is powerd by a friends car the connection is made but does not turn over, the lights and electricals work but battery sounds flat? Which it is def not as just bought brand new

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 7:20 PM
FIXITMR

Is that a side post or top post battery?

Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 5:49 AM
HOGGY1987

Not sure dont no the difference just a standard battery as far as aye no wish anever bought the thing now

Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 7:57 AM
FIXITMR

I think it's a top post. These cars are KNOWN to have wacky issues with electrical! Try following battery wires to where they connect to engine and check for good connections.

Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 8:46 AM
HOGGY1987

Hi agai checked the cinnections they look fine ma friend thinks it is ma sencOr wld that stop the ignition from coming on when turn the key as he took it out and gave it a we clean and now able to jump again with his leads but still nothing without the leads? Think he said ma cam sensor?

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 9:59 AM
FIXITMR

No, the cam sensor should not stop ignition. A jump does increase voltage because running car is putting out 14+ volts while your car is only trying to start with 12+ volts. Why this has an effect is beyond me right now.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 12:09 PM
FIXITMR

Have you had the idea of putting the battery in another car and trying it? Did you clean your connections ends holes with like sandpaper/steel wool till they shine? Clean battery terminal also?

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 11:57 PM
HOGGY1987

Hi Again yes there a metal ring on ma positive termina side of the battery which u need to put on for the positive to screw on properly how far down does that hav to be as mine is near the top?

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 9:36 AM
HOGGY1987

Yea we triedthat battery works fine. There is a little metal ring around ma positive conection that has to be on so the positive screws on properly how far down does that have to be on the battery?

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 9:43 AM