OK SO CAR WOULDNT START CHANGED THE BATTERY THAT...

1997 Pontiac Bonneville

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 1:39 AM

Ok so car wouldnt start changed the battery that did nothing someone said the starter got someone over to jumpstart it it started but wouldnt stay running is that the fuel pump or the alternator plz help me thank you Veronica

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 1:41 AM

Veronica: I need more info. Did the engine stall after removing the jumper cables? Have you check fuel pump pressure? Have you had the battery load tested to see if it is good? (Most parts stores will do it for free as well as check the alt. However, at this point, I am not questioning the alt).

Let me know,

January, 17, 2013 AT 1:47 AM

Replacing the battery kills the computer memories-might need to relearn its idle speed thru the IACV

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 1:50 AM

Ok it was jumped on the starter not with cables with a bar and no cause it is sitting in my yard about half an hr from the closest city the battery is brand new

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 2:00 AM

I'm a little confused. If you had to jump it to start it, that tells me there is a problem with power getting to the starter. As far as it not wanting to continue running, then I would say to check fuel pressure.

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 2:13 AM

Ok thats what I was thinking if maybe it was a connection the car is usually in toronto ontario area and it was brought to me in sudbury ontario where there is a ton of snow and salt on the roads : (

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 3:38 AM

I live in PA and know what you are talking about

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:18 AM

Just need some advice before someone tries to screw me over and charge me for soemthing I dont need

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:24 AM

It is hard to say. You have two different problems that may or may not be related. The new battery should have taken care of the cranking problem. If it didn't the starter may be bad. It will need checked. Next is the issue that it won't stay running when it does start. That could be several things too. If the check engine light is on, you can have the computer scanned to identify trouble codes.

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:48 AM

Well the stater isnt changed yet the guy went under too a bar and jumped it to start it that way it started jsut wouldnt stay running for very long

VeronicaPD

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:49 AM

When you turnon the key you can hear the fuel pump kick on

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe