FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING

1997 Plymouth Prowler

13jessiejames

August, 12, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

I have a 1997 plymouth neon. The fuel pump went out. I replaced it with a pump I purchased online. That pump leaked. They sent a replacement. That pump leaked as well. They sent what they called a superior fuel pump. I just replaced it. I unhook the battery. I disconnect straps, filler hose, fuel line in, fuel line out and undo the clip for the electrical. I drop the tank, change the pump. I hook everything back up, raise the tank, connect. This is all done like i've done it for now the 3rd time. This time now the car won't start.

i checked the fuse or relay switch. It is working. I checked the clip and wires going into the fuel pump. They are all in good condition. I don't seem to be getting electricity now. Why?

hmac300

August, 12, 2012 AT 7:48 PM

Check fuse #21 in power dist box and then chcke brown wire going to fuel pump relay in same box an dsee if pcm is telling relay to start. Then make sure you have a good ground on goround on left rear quarter panel. Check wires to make sure pump is getting power. It shold be a dark green wire with white stripe for pump.

13jessiejames

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:07 PM

I checked the fuse #21 in the power dist box. I will check the other wires. Thank you

13jessiejames

August, 12, 2012 AT 10:11 PM

Okay. I Checked all me connections. I removed everything again and pulled down the gas tank. I gave it all a closer look while it was down. With the gas tank down a little and all the connections, I started the car. I had it running, so I stopped the car and put everything back. After I got everything back together, I tried to start the car again and now nothing. Any ideas?

13jessiejames

August, 12, 2012 AT 10:31 PM

I raised the vehicle up. Checked the lines. I checked the power connection. I had someone turn the key. I hear the pump. I have them try to turn it over, I hear the pump working, but it still won't start. The car was running great before all this. The only things I have done is to change the fuel pump. When I had the gas tank down, before I finished putting everything together it was able to start. Now that I finished putting the gas tank on all the way it will not. What would be different to cause this?

hmac300

August, 12, 2012 AT 10:42 PM

If you dropped the tank and the car started then you have either a wire shorting out against the body or the connection is bad and coming apart

13jessiejames

August, 12, 2012 AT 11:26 PM

Okay. I tracked it down. The pump was working, so I figured it wasn't the electrical anymore. Starting from the fuel pump, I took the fuel lines off in stages. I ran it down to the fuel filter. Although it was new, somehow the lines were getting kinked. I got it all fixed. Thank you for your help.

Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8