I HAVE A PETROL 1.6 . THE MOTOR RUNS AT IDLE BUT WILL NOT INCREASE REVS

1997 Opel Astra

Douglas McConnell

February, 13, 2012 AT 7:07 PM

The problem started about 1 month ago and since then the car has stood idle. Petrol and air filters have been replaced.

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 7:11 PM

Any engine warning lights on? Take a fuel pressure test?

fixitmr

February, 13, 2012 AT 7:20 PM

What happens when you try to increase throttle?

Douglas McConnell

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:54 AM

Hello thanks for the response to my question. No warning lights on and when I open the throttle the revs stay the same, however this morning whilst fiddling I removed the wire to the (acceleration sensor) I think, and after plugging and unplugging this a few times the revs came up but the idle stayed high. Once switched off back to the same.

fixitmr

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:26 PM

Is the throttle plate clean?

Douglas McConnell

February, 15, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

I will strip today and check thanks, I have wiped in there and quite a bit of dirt was on the rag.

fixitmr

February, 15, 2012 AT 5:20 AM

When you said 'open throttle' did you mean move throttle plate? Do we know if it's responding to pedal?

Douglas McConnell

February, 15, 2012 AT 4:51 PM

Hi the throttle plate responds, I did a complete strip and washed out the throttle plate and complete unit. I refitted using a new stepper motor Idle unit and managed to get the motor running. The revs took a while to pick up but then the idle was fine. I took a run for about 20 kms and all was fine except a little flat until the revs were up. I have ordered a Tps (Throttle position sensor) and when that arrives in the morning I will fit it and see. Thanks again, appreciated.

Douglas McConnell

February, 25, 2012 AT 7:20 PM

Hello all the fault was with my crank gear. Key way on shaft was partially stripped. Replacement gear was R100 and car revved up normally.
Thanks forthe advice.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars