STALLING PROBLEM

1997 Nissan Maxima

thepenguinbeing

September, 10, 2012 AT 9:19 PM

Hey! I am the proud owner of a 1997 nissan maxima with almost 200,000 miles on it! It has been having the problem of periodically stalling going around turns, or when im stopped at a light. Today its gotten even worse, stalling frequently. I took it out around the culdesac and it seemingly shut off, I turned it back on, went to turn around and it stalled again! It proceeded to stall 3 more times just in making the 1 turn. None of the gauges were running high, but the brake light and oil light flashed. I checked the engine and it was extremely low on coolant, so I filled that, checked the oil, which came out a lighter brown with a little bit of black "soot" residue, and the battery appears to have some kind of corrosion buildup around one of the terminals. How can I start this bad boy working again?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

thepenguinbeing

September, 10, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

I looked around online for people with similar problems. Maybe the engine was running hot because of no coolant and it damages a sensor

hmac300

September, 10, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Clean the battery terminals first, check you belt for being tight. Have the cooling system checked for leaks thre may be a head gasket//intake leak. Clean the throttle plate on both sides with choke cleaner and lastly check your fuel pressure or have it checked.

thepenguinbeing

September, 10, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

First thing tomorrow im having it looked at by a mechanic. Adding the coolant seemed to help, but I agree a sensor may have been damaged from over heating. I'll try cleaning those battery terminals. Any idea how much i'm looking at for a repair if I am having an intake/gasket leak?

hmac300

September, 10, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

No idea costs vary around u.S.

thepenguinbeing

September, 10, 2012 AT 10:58 PM

Well thank you. I appreciate it very much

September, 11, 2012 AT 6:50 AM

Check for trouble codes.